Thursday, March 24, 2016

In Recovery!

(This will be a quick update and I will tell you all about Joey's big day this weekend when my mind and heart have settled down a bit and I am able to process everything fully.)


Joey's surgeon Dr. Starnes just met us in the waiting room and brought probably the best news we have ever heard in our lives. After three hours of surgery Joey is just fine, off the heart-lung machine and the surgery was being finished up by Dr. Herrington. After going in, he was able to repair the holes, do the arterial switch, switch the coronary arteries and not have to remove or replace the valve!  He was able to remove tissue around and inside the pulmonary valve and thinks that it will be a sufficient valve to carry him through his life.  Which means no more surgeries as he gets older!!  (At least nothing planned, fingers crossed.)

His breast plate remains open to allow for swelling to go down and that will be closed either tomorrow or Saturday and then the real recovery can begin.  

Both Jamie and I are so grateful for the team here at Children's Hospital, and that Dr. Starnes and Dr. Herrington were the ones that took on his case. We were in the best of hands.  

And thank you to everyone who was thinking of and praying for Joey today! We really felt the love!

8 comments:

  1. Great news Amanda and Jamie. A lot of people have been praying ALL DAY for Joey and I being one of them really trust in the Lord and know how good He is. I am so proud of both of you guys, you are the perfect team and a incredible couple and I am grateful to be your Aunt. God is so good and prayer works. Now Joey can be a perfect example of a testimony of God's wonderful grace and love for all of us, and you guys can tell him just how many people love him. I know all three of you have a long way to go but friends and family will continue to pray and support you guys.
    Thank you God. Love Aunt Jeanne Ann xoxoxo give Baby Joey kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such great news. I'm so happy for you three. Joey has definitely made one hell of an entrance into this world. I hope he has a speedy recovery. -Gerardo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first paragraph brought me to tears! I was just catching up on the blog tonight and I'm so so glad to hear this news. I am so proud of you and Jamie - the transition into parenthood is a huge roller coaster for everyone. With Joey's diagnosis and all that you have faced this past week, my mama heart is with you and I'm just so impressed with how you have already stepped up to be the warrior parents Joey needs. What a lucky little boy he is! Keep up the great work advocating for your child - you are both amazing! Keep pumping & know that there may be hurdles ahead with breastfeeding but I'm certain you will tackle them together and figure it all out. Let me know if I can ever help or offer you long distance support. ❤️ praying for you and Jamie & Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope today is as joyous as yesterday and each day forward continue to be better and better. Sending love and hugs to each of you. I'm looking forward to meeting your little warrior. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing, God has been faithful, and answered all our prayers. Stay connected to Him and he will continue to care for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of your little family - Happy Easter!! I am so glad to hear he has his chest all closed and starting to remove some of those awful tubes! Emerson is still in heart block also - they have started to talk to us about the possibility of a pace maker - which as much as that is not the option we want - it is definately not the worst thing in the world! Praying for our two little cuties to show this heart block who is boss!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete